Learn How An Oral Appliance Can Help Treat Sleep Apnea
While many people are aware of CPAP treatment for sleep apnea, it's not as commonly known that a professional, custom-made oral appliance can also serve as an effective treatment option, depending on the type of sleep apnea a patient experiences.
At South Point Dental in Airdrie, we've seen the benefits that a customized dental appliance can have on sleep apnea sufferers, and we'd be happy to evaluate your unique needs to help you determine if a customized oral appliance is right for you!
What is sleep apnea?
A condition that causes a person to stop breathing for brief periods during sleep, sleep apnea can occur several times throughout the night and can cause a person to snore loudly. It can also cause daytime fatigue, and lead to other health problems in the long term, such as high blood pressure and heart disease.
What are the different types of sleep apnea?
There are three main types of sleep apnea: obstructive, central, and mixed.
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is the most common type and occurs when the muscles in the back of the throat relax too much, causing a blockage in the airway.
- Central sleep apnea (CSA) occurs when the brain does not send signals to the muscles that control breathing.
- Mixed sleep apnea is a combination of both obstructive and central sleep apnea.
How can a dental appliance treat sleep apnea?
With a custom-made device that's worn in the mouth during sleep, a dental appliance helps keep a patient's airway open, making it easier to breathe. The device works by holding the tongue or jaw in a forward position, preventing the soft tissue in the back of the throat from collapsing and blocking the airway.
Who is a candidate for oral appliance therapy?
Custom dental appliances are most effective for treating mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea. In some cases, they may also be recommended for treating central sleep apnea or mixed sleep apnea.
If you think you may have sleep apnea, contact South Point Dental in Airdrie today to schedule a consultation. We will work with you to find the best treatment option for your individual needs!
Contact Us to Treat Sleep Apnea with Oral Appliance Therapy in Airdrie Ab
- Treat Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Utilize a comfortable oral appliance to achieve a good night's rest
- Maintain an open airway while you sleep
- Reduce your risk of developing cardiovascular problems caused by sleep apnea
- Prioritize your well-being!